[development] Switching themes in modules

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Jun 22 19:38:01 UTC 2006

Op woensdag 21 juni 2006 14:32, schreef Moshe Weitzman:
> In the link above, he already answers that question: "This module can
> provide a lightweight solution to taxonomy_theme.module or sections.module
> if you only want to switch to a single different theme based on URL paths."

I read that. Still I see no difference. Sections is very small. The amount of
code in both modules is not much different.

Don't get me wrong: I am all for choice. But two modules that do almost
exactly the same, in almost exactly the same way, with almost the exact same
code are IMO a waste of time.

But the reason why I wrote this in the first place is because If someone
would've mailed me with a plan, or a question, or a comment that sections
is "too big", or "too complex" for his or her needs, I would love to look
into a concept to make it smaller, simpler, easier, or more usefull for more
people. It makes me wonder if I am such a stubborn person, that people don't
want to work on a module bearing my name. Or that it is so crappy that I
should rather consider removing it.

It is hard enough to find any modules as it is, let alone if for all modules
there are two, three four alternatives that have the EXACT same problems and
appear to do the exact same. The lightweight module, moreover, has the same
issue as sections module, why it cannot be released, namely the fact that
4.7's per-theme blocks are a PIAS when switching. If that person wouldve
spent time on a solution for that instead, we would have had one module that
actually works by now. Instead of two that are useless because of some
critical issue.

Bèr