[development] Drupal and i18n, the holy grail?

Rowan Kerr rowan at stasis.org
Fri Mar 3 19:44:25 UTC 2006

Bèr Kessels wrote:
> Or, how to get the i18n project rolling.

Not to drag up an older thread but I missed most of this discussion
while it was taking place originally :)

i18n came up in our last DUG-TO (Toronto user's group) meeting, seeing
as Canada is officially bilingual and we do have some people who work on
various government sites in the group. (Someone in this thread mentioned
ndp.ca, for example).

We hashed over many of the same ideas that have been mentioned here..
adding a language field to the node table, having prefixed tables
per-language, using revisions table with language codes.

When working on government sites in Canada, there another interesting
issue with i18n:

	Translation of a piece of content relates to Workflow

That is, content must not be published until it is available in all
official languages.

Something else to chew on.

Personally, I am most interested by the idea of using revisions for node
translation as you could tie a unique nid to language _and_ version at
the same time.

-Rowan