[development] Drupal and i18n, the holy grail?

Jakub Suchy jakub at rtfm.cz
Sun Mar 5 20:36:48 UTC 2006

> On example: using single storage, we can store also information about
> languages, so for a single menu item it should look similar as this:
> When drupal builds up the page, after it loads the node, proper
> translation should be processed (if user is on EN part of the site, then
> should be always English content processed from the node.
> If there is no content (and menu is there), we can put some default info
> message.
>
> Of course this approach than needs changes in GUI so that we can edit
> each language content separately (combo box with language selection,
> some _javascript_, some text processing/tagging in background).
>
> Advantage is that we don't need to change table structure.

This is nice, but what about speed? It will require parsing each and
every node content for every page display (or caching). Second approach,
with <?php tags is very user unfriendly too...

Jakub MeBa Suchy
--
Jakub Suchý <jakub.suchy at logios.cz>
GSM: +420 - 777 817 949

LOGIOS s.r.o, V Podhájí 776/30, 400 01 Ústí nad Labem
tel.: +420 - 474 745 159, fax: +420 - 474 745 160
e-mail: info at logios.cz, web: http://www.logios.cz