[development] a couple things to discuss about base_path()
matt at lullabot.com
Tue Mar 7 05:09:04 UTC 2006
While base_path() does many a good thing, it also presents a couple
of obstacles that could use further discussion.
- Enabling or disabling clean_urls on a site with content will break
hand-rolled links. For example on my staging server clean_urls are
disabled but they're enabled in production. If I continue to do that,
my links will break.
- Moving a Drupal site from one subdirectory to another or from a
subdirectory up to a root folder will break links if the site is
How should we solve these problems? A couple of ideas. Let's pick one.
1) Provide a link updater script in the scripts/ folder
2) Add some sort of 'fix my links' button via the admin interface
3) Hook a URL fixing script into the clean_url form toggle so it runs
after the setting has changed.
4) Make a link-updater contrib module to point users to.
I'm in the camp of #4 since I see this as a rarely used interface
option. Oh, and I'm also volunteering my time to write the mod.
Matt Westgate | www.lullabot.com
More information about the development