[development] Re: 18 critical bugs left

Derek Wright derek at dwwright.net
Wed Mar 8 19:19:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 20:42:16 +0100  Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> Karthik wrote:
> >As far as I am aware, all non-security/standards related issues for
> >the 4.6/4.5 branch can be closed if they have been fixed in HEAD.
>
> That is our current policy, indeed.

as a specific example, will this no longer be fixed?

http://drupal.org/node/49430
"Mysql 5 & db_rewrite_sql issue"
(a patch to fix MySQL 5.0.12+ errors in taxonomy.module)

now that this has been committed:

http://drupal.org/node/51850
"nailing down db_rewrite_sql"
(a patch that fixes db_rewrite_sql() to solve all of the JOIN ordering
problems once and for all, and fixes the implicit JOIN in
taxonomy.module also handled in the 4.6 patch listed above).

that seems like a shame to me.  i fully understand not adding new
features to stable releases, but i don't see how fixing a known bug in
the last stable release is a bad thing, even if the bug is already
fixed in a (not yet stable) forthcoming release.

> For 4.7 we will maintain the branch to more extend, ie I will apply
> patches for non-critical bugs (but no new features).

that makes perfect sense.  new features only go into the development
release.  but, if the policy (as someone else said) is to "support"
4.6 until 4.8 is out, why not fix bugs when the changes are small?
obviously, investing a lot of effort into backporting major changes is
a terrible idea, but small, easily verified and tested bug fixes
should still be applied to 4.6, IMHO.

am i crazy? ;)

thanks,
-derek