[development] Can someone confirm -- Minimum MySQL Privileges?

Angie Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Mon Mar 13 17:15:40 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:
> Your list looks complete to me.

Cool, thanks Dries!

Khalid B wrote:
> In includes/database.mysql.inc there is this pesky function called
> db_next_id() that users need ...
>
> It has:
> LOCK TABLES sequences WRITE
> and
> REPLACE INTO sequences ...
>
> This is needed for normal operation (creating nodes, users registering, ...etc.)

Yeah, I couldn't find reference to a specific permission for "REPLACE" --
according to http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/replace.html it seems to
take its permissions from a combination of INSERT and DELETE. "LOCK TABLES" is
already added to the list, so I think we're good there.

Karthik wrote:
> Considering the .install files that have been introduced, won't this
> table just be "User" and "Admin"?

Sorry? I didn't quite understand this...

Maybe what people are getting confused about is the heading for each group of
permissions. This was taken from PHPMyAdmin, as it's part of a tutorial I'm
doing that uses PHPMyAdmin. So disregard the headings "Data," "Structure," and
"Admin" and focus more on the actual permissions themselves. :)

Unless you mean I can further refine this to make it so that you only have
certain permissions on certain tables or in certain instances (such as
upgrading/module installation, which need the more 'advanced' CREATE, ALTER,
INDEX, DROP, etc. permissions that 'normal' operations don't have)? But Drupal
uses the same MySQL user for everything so I'm not sure how we could do that.

-Angie