[development] Re: [support] Drupal 4.6.6/4.5.8 security releases

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Tue Mar 14 21:35:44 UTC 2006

Boris Mann wrote:

>>> Karoly: this is still a valid point. The security advisories *must*
>>> go out first, privately, before the public announcement.
>>

>> No. While some people think it is preferred to send the e-mail
>> announcements first, it is still pretty much irrelevant in the larger
>> scheme of things.
>

> Sure, it's irrelevant. It's also indicative of attitude, which the
> community increasingly gets accused of.

This isn't new and I still don't give a damn. The increase of insults
isn't higher than the increase in # of users, I think.

>> First, there are NO private security announcements; both the
>> announcement on drupal.org AND the security announcement mailing list
>> are PUBLIC. Script kiddies can subscribe to the e-mail notifications
>> as well. Chances are that they receive their e-mail notifications
>> before you do. The mailing list is a publicly accessible notification
>> mechanism, not an exclusive service.
>

> My point being that a gap between the send out and web-based posting
> gives, at least, the appearance of a "heads up". And appearances are
> important.

If you want to have a professional appearance you will need to find the
funds to pay people (or somehow coax them otherwise).

> Yep, it's hard to send out a lot of email. Yep, great job everyone in
> getting security issues out. We're in this together, my post was an
> offer of help.

Well, seems we are getting somewhere, then. Write to the sec list and
explain how you can help.

Cheers,
Gerhard