[development] user deletion

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sun Mar 26 18:06:44 UTC 2006

Hi there!

There have been a lot of problems/discussions when it comes to Drupal's
handling of deleted user accounts.

The problems did arise from the fact that we did leave user information
in some places (notably node authorship, etc).

The discussions did arise from the fact whether we should keep the
content or not.

I did propose to fix the problems
(http://drupal.org/node/53348#comment-82298) and retain the content. it
would be easy to do a contrib module which would delete the content
instead (just make sure your user hook gets called befor the one in
node.module).
I think this approach is least destructive and leaves opportunities for
other approaches.

Jose and Zen did provide a patch
(http://drupal.org/files/issues/user_delete_3_0.patch) which I will be
glad to  commit if I get otld it works by an independend review.

If you disagree with this approach and thinks it does not allow you to
do something you think that Drupal should allow you to do, please let me
know too.
But you better be quick about it. :p

Cheers,
    Gerhard