[development] 404 handling

Ken Rickard agentrickard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 21:08:04 UTC 2006

All-

We've been doing some heavy testing on 4.6 and found a piece that is good (I
think) for all Drupal versions.

In .htaccess, Drupal's index.php file is defined as the default 404 handler.

This can cause real problems when an image or other file is missing,  A
little research by our tech guys gives us this:

# This overrides the Drupal 404 handler for files that should never be
handled by Drupal
<FilesMatch "\.(gif|jpe?g|png|html|css|js)$">
  ErrorDocument 404 default
</FilesMatch>

This makes Apache handle 404 errors for typical html and image files.

Should this be submitted officially?

- Ken Rickard
agentrickard