[development] 404 handling

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Fri Mar 31 02:11:08 UTC 2006

On 30-Mar-06, at 1:08 PM, Ken Rickard wrote:

> We've been doing some heavy testing on 4.6 and found a piece that
> is good (I think) for all Drupal versions.
>
> In .htaccess, Drupal's index.php file is defined as the default 404
> handler.
>
> This can cause real problems when an image or other file is
> missing,  A little research by our tech guys gives us this:
>
> # This overrides the Drupal 404 handler for files that should never
> be handled by Drupal
> <FilesMatch "\.(gif|jpe?g|png|html|css|js)$">
>   ErrorDocument 404 default
> </FilesMatch>
>
> This makes Apache handle 404 errors for typical html and image files.
>
> Should this be submitted officially?

Yes....*any* idea should get "officially" submitted as an
issue...whether or not it gets applied is a separate issue (i.e. this
won't be applied in 4.6, will highly unlikely make it into 4.7).
Standard procedure would be to submit an issue, then email the dev
list with a pointer for further comment if it is of wider interest/
needs discussion.

Ken -- thanks for bring this up.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595