5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Mon May 1 13:58:21 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 Apr 2006, at 19:54, Larry Garfield wrote:
> > As for codenames, the 4.7/5.0 question is why they exist. :-)  I'm
> > game.
>
> How about we call it 'development version'?  That is by far the most
> accessible term for outsiders.  Think about it.  Code names are a
> developer-ism.

Development version is not unique. It is like "cvs" now, which confuses
the heck out of so many people. Think about it: issues are against cvs
version, but that is a shifting target. It was the "development version"
at some point in time, but no one knows which release that cvs version
ended up as.

A unique code name identifies a version that is yet to be named with
a numeric designation. It does not repeat, no risk of duplicates. So,
issues, features, documentation, ..etc. can all be traced back to an
identifiable release.

The temporal aspect is not lost.

Oh, and regarding what names, I like plain names, nothing fancy or
too geeky, since this is shared to the outside name.