5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

sime info at urbits.com
Mon May 1 15:19:40 UTC 2006

Jenny Hsueh wrote:

> Dries Buytaert wrote:
>
>> I'm very sceptic about roadmaps and long-term planning in the
>> context  of Drupal development.  A roadmap is vaporware and creates
>> pressure.
>

> ... A roadmap is not about time boxing what is going to be developed
> when, but a shared common vision of the community how to get from
> point A to point B -- i.e.  to understand the target and to understand
> the inter-dependencies.  ...

What is a "shared common vision"? Esoteric wisdom will say it's an illusion.

In my experience so far, a roadmap is not appropriate for an open-source
community of this calibre. They can be hard to agree on ("we need a
vote"), can be stifling ("I'm stuck with this task I don't want"), can
create tension ("drupal sucks, look the roadmap you promised"), use up
valuable resources ("we have to re-think the roadmap because of ....").

sime