5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Jenny Hsueh jenny at ondemand-network.com
Tue May 2 03:05:12 UTC 2006

Khalid B wrote:

>> It is fair, one can have ones own view of what  they like or dislike
>> without the concerns of others yet wishing others can help to test and
>> comment on their pet features.  It is pretty sad if this is the main
>> stream thoughts from developers - I hope  this is not the case.   But of
>> course, we all like no rules and no obligations ;-).
>

> Jenny
>
> This is Open Source development. It does not happen because corporate
> marketing mandates a feature, or  someone up high in the hierarchy orders
> it down the command chain.

fully understand this, myself work in international
collaboration/non-profit based projects for many years so understand
what you get is only what people are willing to put in there. but over
the years, I saw successful projects all have a few common threads;
that is i) leadership within the community - the shepherd  ii) the
atmosphere which promotes the collaboration and helping each others.
Not saying drupal is lacking of this, but can be improved.

> In my view, the features have to be the collective sum of pet features
> that
> people who chose to propose them and put the effort to make them happen.

agree, and if one pet feature is highly demandable over the others, when
push comes to shove the decision will be easier.

Jenny