5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue May 2 10:05:55 UTC 2006

On 02 May 2006, at 10:25, Jakub Suchy wrote:
> Are you sure, that i18n, CCK, etc. will make it into core without any
> plans to make it into core?

It doesn't depend on the availability of a global roadmap, but on the
actual work and planning done by its specific contributors.  A
roadmap does not guarantee that certain features make it.  It does,
however, create the kind of hope that will backfire.  In the minds of
people, roadmaps list deliverables.  We won't create an official
roadmap.

> Just start with very simple (one page)
> official list of major features which should be in 4.8/5.0 and you
> will
> do very well for the Drupal development.

I shared my vision on more than one occasion and now Drupal 4.7.0 is
released, I'll be writing about it more.  Similarly, other people
have been sharing their vision too.  I encourage all of you to share
your vision.  And when you're done, make sure to start writing code
and to collaborate (eg. review patches).  It is what it takes to turn
your vision into reality.  I'll do exactly that.  (When I started
blogging, I promised myself not to theorize about things I won't be
working on myself.)

Anyway, in the past, I referred to this as a "personal battle
plan" (rather than a roadmap or vision), which I think is a much
better term in the FOSS world.  After each major release, we'd
collect people's personal battle plans.

Here is my personal battle plan for Drupal 4.6 (and Drupal.org):
   http://drupal.org/node/11512

Here is my personal battle plan for Drupal 4.5:
   http://drupal.org/node/6673#comment-10068

I think that, so far, I did pretty well turning my vision into reality.

Maybe it is time for another round of 'personal battle plans'?  To
me, that is a lot more valuable than a roadmap, vision or wishlist.