[development] Move all core modules into their own directories.

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Wed May 3 11:02:37 UTC 2006

Op woensdag 3 mei 2006 09:10, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> It relied on a new _dependency() hook and that was
> pretty much it.  Sounds a lot simpler to me but maybe I oversee some
> limitations?

That time the discussion was about what the best metadata holder would
be: .ini, XML, YAML, SQL etc.

chx and I pushed forward that there is another way to store metadata: PHP.
 pro: we all speak PHP. Nothing new to learn. No parsers required.
 con: non-developers are not able to read/wrtie the metadata. IMO there is no
need at all for non developers to get involved in the metadata.

Bèr

On a sidenote: i have proof of concept code for so called fixtures in sympal
scripts (need to secure the whole thing first, before releasing). A fixture
contains a state of the site. See it as "save the current website". Fixtures
are needed for good tests, for development data (don't you ever get tired of
typing adfgasdfasdf jkljljkljk in your node fields just to test a
permission), and for saving the variables and system settings.

But fixtures are also a means to store certain distro-initial-state-and-data.

Fixtures in sympals scripts are pure PHP. :)

I would love to be able to re-use core code for this in future, so I would
love to see this path of 'store stuff in PHP' explored more.

--
[ End user Drupal services and hosting | Sympal.nl ]