[development] Time to remove poll module from core

Derek Wright derek at dwwright.net
Wed May 3 17:49:05 UTC 2006

On May 3, 2006, at 10:04 AM, Jonathan Chaffer wrote:

> You're talking about... dare I say it... a poll field type! Anyone who
> wants to attempt building such a beast for CCK is very welcome to. I
> will happily provide guidance.

i'm torn about this:

+ you can actually have a *body* that describes the poll, or any other
fields that make sense for the node you want displayed.  i find it very
weird that polls don't currently have a body, and if you want any text
associated with them (other than the title/question), you have to
enable comments and use those.

- if it's just a field, it's harder (i think) to have tabs on the node
page for doing interesting things with the poll.  for example, polls
currently allow you to view the poll (if you haven't voted) and the
results as separate tabs.  my patch in http://drupal.org/node/51561
adds yet another tab (for people w/ the right permission) to view the
actual votes (by username or IP/host for anonymous).  i'm not sure
if/how CCK field types handle this sort of thing... if a field can
register tabs when viewing the container node.

if CCK fields can manage tabs for their container node, i'm all for
this approach.

-derek (dww)

p.s. shouldn't we move this thread to
http://groups.drupal.org/voting-systems ?