[development] Development focus

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Wed May 3 19:16:49 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 03 May 2006, at 12:15, Neil Drumm wrote:
>
>>> Including the CCK in core is an important goal and something I
>>> support strongly.  So I played some more with the CCK today, and
>>> before it can be considered for inclusion, we need to:
>>>   1. Figure out a way to make it easy to install the CCK.  Having
>>> to  enable 5-10 modules is annoying.  Having a better install
>>> system,  with a build in dependency tracker, seems necessary.
>>
>> I don't think adding more required modules should happen.
>>
>> Would it be workable to start with patching node.module to allow
>> multiple content types and remove page/story (with upgrade path, etc)?
>
> I'm not sure it would be workable, but it certainly sounds  desirable.
> (Then again, didn't chx came up with a patch to do  exactly this?)

I posted some code for this (just a proof of concept, not some usable
functionality with an UI). Chx might have made a patch out of it. There
was a direction to add this "basic node type cloning" feature into core,
and get rid of page/story and the node type code of blog/forum (all
these four are in fact the same basic node type) Then support CCK as
much as possible, but not in core. I am unsure whether this direction
was voted down, I myself would still prefer this way. Additionaly CCK
would probably have more space to breathe in contrib.

Gabor