[development] Move all core modules into their own directories.

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Thu May 4 11:29:46 UTC 2006

> On 03 May 2006, at 14:39, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> > I'm sure Adrian will answer in more detail but the key advatgantage
> > of text
> > files for metadata is that you don't load PHP to in order to get
> > title/author/description... This means no more memory problems on
> > admin/modules. Futher, it means that CVS or SVN or project module or
> > system.module can safely read anyone's scripts without trusting all
> > files.
> > Consider how much better we can do with project listings on the web
> > if we
> > aren't duplicating information between the project form and the
> > README.
>
> Maybe this makes for a good starting point to experiment with some of
> the ideas.  Execute from the command line in Drupal's root directory.

I've given it some more thought and I'm OK with moving each module to
its own directory.  Now, we need someone who can extend the dir.php to
be more thourough (eg. and move some css / js).  I'd like to see
someone take action, rather than discussing this to death.  If you
have an interest in this, please step forward, open an issue on
drupal.org and start sharing dir.php's. :)

One of the things I'd like to see happen, is that we move away from
the theme_ functions, and that we make PHPTemplate files for each
theme function.  So, if you are a designer and you want to theme a
part of Drupal, you just copy the template from module/foo/bar.tpl.php
to your theme directory, and you start hacking away at it.

The advantages:
  * Easier for designers; just copy the template file.
  * We're forced do a better job separating code and markup.
  * Smaller modules and reducing memory footprint as the theme
functions are only loaded on demand.

The disadvantages:
  * PHPTemplate would become more dominant.  It's not clear how this
can co-exist with other theme engines.

--
Dries Buytaert :: http://buytaert.net/