[development] Time to remove poll module from core

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu May 4 17:00:11 UTC 2006

Darrel O'Pry wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 12:17 -0500, Jeff Eaton wrote:
>
>>>I don't think demoting polls to a second class data type as
>>>an answer; a
>>>poll should be a node, but we need our blogs and forums to be able to
>>>accept more content types than just 'blog' or 'forum'.
>>
>>I'm with Earl on this one. Blogs are not a *content type* even though we
>>treat them that way in blog.module. They're a container, and (in most
>>cases) a presentation style. "Blogs" should be able to accept weblink
>>nodes, images, polls, journal entries, and so on.
>>
>>--Jeff
>
> So you're saying a blog should be a View? ;)

It's hard to argue otherwise. A blog is a retrieval of content based upon some
parameter. There are three most common parameters:

1) posts by blog author that are in this blog container. (Currently we note that
by node type; in the future, I'd rather use a parent-child relationship. Hey
relationships API!)

2) posts in all of these blog containers that I have bookmarked. I.e, subscribed
to. Example: Blog Site #879812 has 8,372 different blogs; some are single-author
blogs, some are multi-author blogs. The actual post rate is approximately one
post every 30 seconds, meaning my 20 post page fills up every 10 minutes. That's
too much data for me to process. So instead I browse the list of blogs
available, pick the ones I like, and subscribe to it. (Functionality: views,
blog-as-container-which-exists-only-ephemerally, flexible bookmark).

3) Much smaller blog site simply has one aggregated blog. Like what we have now.

 From the coding perspective, these are all just the same idea, with a different
query generating the content.