[development] Move all core modules into their own directories.

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Thu May 4 17:52:19 UTC 2006

On 04 May 2006, at 18:15, Vladimir Zlatanov wrote:
> The cons, load/search times might increase. Maybe the maintenance
> overhead.

Various people claim that the theme_ functions are necessary to get
the best performance out of Drupal.  Frankly, I'm not convinced that
is true.

If we go all the way and remove the theme functions from the .module
files, the PHP engine will have a lot less code to parse.  Take a
moment to think about it.  It is kind of a clean (but less
aggressive) implementation of Karoly's "split mode" patch.  Karoly
claims that "split mode" gives him an average performance gain of 40%
as well as significant memory reductions.

Maybe someone can modify Karoly's split mode patch (so that it only
splits out the theme_ functions), merge it with dir.php, and give it
a go?  It would be different from the final implementation, but it
would give us a pretty accurate indication as to whether we need to
keep the theme_ functions or not.