[development] theme_foo() functions vs tpl.php templates (was Move all core modules into their own directories)

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Thu May 4 19:28:24 UTC 2006

On 04 May 2006, at 9:05 PM, Neil Drumm wrote:

> - I want to decide my block regions, not have PHPTemplate tell me
> which ones I implement. (Or better yet, I just want to put regions
> in my template and have something else figure out what they are.)
If we had meta information, you could have a section in your theme
meta info document for regions

ie:
regions: left, right, bottom, top, green, spatula

> - I want to decide my theme features, not have PHPTemplate tell me
> which ones I implement. (Or, better yet, I just don't want to have
> to worry about them.)
if we had meta information, you could have a section in your theme
meta info document for
features.

ie:
supports : toggle_something, site_name, something_else

I wasn't fond of the fact that these things were given hooks in the
first place, and these
types of settings are ideal for metadata files.

> - I can just copy themeable functions into my theme and go.
Normal people could just copy the template file into their template
directory and go.
You could still copy the contents of the template file into a theme
function :

function mytheme_something($var, $var, $var) { ?>

<?php }

--
Adrian Rossouw
Drupal developer and Bryght Guy