[development] implementing "plugins"

Matt Westgate matt at lullabot.com
Sat May 6 14:06:19 UTC 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 10:09 PM, Dan Robinson wrote:

> I want to introduce a concept of "plugins" to my module.  In this case
> the plugin merely needs to supply a single function that returns data.

The ecommerce package might be a good source of inspiration for this.
It doesn't use plugins but keeps in-line with the Drupal hook system,
meaning other modules can tap into the ecommerce API. There's an api
for products, payments, the checkout process, etc. I also opted to
use *.module files instead of includes with the intentions being that
any component of the ecommerce package could also be used by itself.
For example, I just want a shopping cart because I already have
another product creation system.

Hope that helps!

Matt Westgate | www.lullabot.com