[development] hook_foo() vs. nodeapi

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Sun May 7 22:42:41 UTC 2006

On 5/7/06, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:
> This seems to echo the "why make nodes when you've got flexinode" idea that
> was floated a while back.  The answer then and now being "because sometimes I
> don't want my data's definition and structure in the database, I want it in
> code where I don't have to do everything twice between a beta site and live
> site."

Here is an idea: I would call "portable node definitions".

This can be some sort of predefined node data that would make a fresh
site have the new node types.

These can be some sort of metadata file, and can be as simple as some
PHP code that does that, or can be Yet  Another Metadata Proposed
Format.

This way, instead of having a classified or job search module, we would
have a metafile for each, and that is it.