[development] Pathauto scaleability - path column in node / user table

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue May 9 08:03:39 UTC 2006

On 5/9/06, Jeremy Epstein <jazepstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/06, Earl Miles <merlin at logrus.com> wrote:
> > But this also leaves out 'user' and any other non-node object that may
> > want URLs of this nature.
>
> In order for (potentially) any object to manage its own primary
> aliases, I think we need a hook_path(). I really do. Modules would
> simply implement this hook by returning, say, the table and the field
> where the path is stored. I guess they'd also return the URL fragment
> that is their 'realm' - for node, this would be 'node' (since all node
> paths are in the form 'node/x'). E.g.:
>
> function node_path() {
>   return array('table' => 'node', 'field' => 'path', 'path' => 'node');
> }

I think this is a bad idea because it will add way to much complexity
(nullifying most of the performance gain?).  I don't see why we need a
hook for things like that.  As the module author, you know where the
path is stored.  You can retrieve it, and pass it along to by-pass the
lookup mechanism.

--
Dries Buytaert :: http://buytaert.net/