[development] hook_fileapi (file products and download permission)

Robert Douglass r.douglass at onlinehome.de
Tue May 9 10:56:51 UTC 2006

A fileapi hook was proposed nearly 2 years ago, much along the same
lines. It was concluded, along the way, that the place for this is in
the file.inc file or in some centralized upload manager. I agree.

The filemanager[1] module has had the problem of access permissions
solved for a very long time. It has a hook that lets modules impose
their own access restrictions on downloads, and supports separate
public/private download regions (it doesn't force you to choose between
one or the other). Furthermore, the filemanager module only provides the
API for uploading and downloading, not the user interface. The UI is
provided by the attachment module [2]. Other modules (acidfree) have
decided to use the filemanager module as their basis for dealing with
uploads. I feel that it is close to what we want in core, and that
building the proposed fileapi hook would be much easier if this were the
case.

If you're not familiar with the filemanager module, please review it.
I'd be interested in hearing what criticisms exist. I'd be in favor of
moving it to core.

cheers,

Robert

[1] http://drupal.org/project/filemanager