[development] hook_fileapi (file products and download permission)

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Wed May 10 16:44:42 UTC 2006

On 9-May-06, at 6:19 PM, Dave Cohen wrote:

> Robert,
>
> Thanks for pointing out those modules.  I can see the appeal of
> filemanager
> and it seems that a module like audio could have saved some trouble
> by using
> it.

Colin did the original, and used core APIs to make it.

Drewish/andrew morton has done a ton of updates and actually moved it
to filemanager, and we asked/paid him to do the 4.7 version with core
File API.

Why? Needs to work out of the box with core. If core is difficult/
hard to work with....please, file patches! Big ones, gigantic ones.
Otherwise we are left with not good code in core (archive *cough*).

We need to work together on these shared pieces.

> I have my own wishlist for Drupal file management
> <http://dave-cohen.com/node/1045>.  If I ever get around to
> implementing it,
> I'll likely use filemanager.module.

So....try working with filemanager as a replacement for upload/
file.inc (IMHO -- it's either attachment or upload.module and/or re-
working upload module to work more like attachment, using new
filemanager API calls).

Please make patches against core, since this will help everyone long
term, rather than just those who build/maintain an alternate file
handling structure.

Cheers,

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595