[development] Move all core modules into their own directories.

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed May 10 16:45:24 UTC 2006

> Optimise later, I would say. And benchmarks in this case are going
> to be
> really weird. Too many different filesystems with different penalties,
> with or without caching, file or db cache, with or without
> opcaches, ....

Exactly.  Developers (myself included!) tend to optimize way too fast/
early.  I'd start with the bare minimal, get that into core, spend
some time evaluating, and improve as necessary.  Making the best
possible case for designers is exactly what this is about, and this
time around, we should go all the way.

> I've done a rough split of the theme functions from the modules
> based on
> the current 4.7 (didn't have the latest cvs, but it should be
> similar).
> If you want I can prepare a patch and submit it on drupal.org together
> with the split code (slow, ugly, but quick to code).

I've read your blog post and am particularly interested in trying to
test this as soon it is working as intended.  Step #1 is to run the
scripts and to do some performance benchmark.  Have you done any
experiments yet?  When can we expect to be able to play with this?  :-)

Thanks for taking a lead in this, Vlado!  Much appreciated.