[development] Extend database abstraction layer, to include table creation.

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Thu May 11 19:49:35 UTC 2006

On 11 May 2006, at 9:41 PM, Jeff Eaton wrote:
> Chx makes a good point, though, that data column types differing
> between
> implementations is one of the ugly bits. It'd be odd to set up our own
> 'drupal-esque' data types and map them to db specific types in the
> function.
That's what the abstraction layer is there for.

we specify integer, longtext, shortext blah .. and the abstraction layer
changes that into whatever the equivalent is for that database type.

ie: varchar() and text in mysql / postgres.

Choose _SENSIBLE_ types, _FOR US_ and then change it into whatever
works for each database.

This would give us consistency in how tables are defined.

--
Adrian Rossouw
Drupal developer and Bryght Guy