[development] Extend database abstraction layer, to include table creation.

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Thu May 11 22:26:28 UTC 2006

Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> Perhaps unit tests will help us weed out the dodgy non-standard sql that
> sometimes gets used,
> and then we can add more supported db types to our stack? (without
> breaking our backs supporting them)
>
> I suppose that's one benefit to coding for mysql (the lowest common
> denominator)

Except, mysql really isn't the lowest common denominator.  They have a spate of
non-standard SQL extensions that are widely and popularly used -- mostly due to
history.

It'd be nice to get folks to use more standard, portable SQL so that we could
support more db types reliably.  What's the method to get there?  Unit tests?
Dev documentation?  An SQL audit before CVS commit?

..chrisxj