[development] Extend database abstraction layer, to include table creation.

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Fri May 12 21:13:40 UTC 2006

There certainly is a cost for this extra abstraction layer. But the beneits
are substantial, and IMO, outweight the costs you've identified. Expanding
on my response in this issue (http://drupal.org/node/63049)

- automatically gives us pgsql compatibility for most modules. Only those
that use non standard sql are broken.
- paves a clear path toward fixing the slight security problem we introduced
with 4.7. Since the install and update systems regularly create and drop
tables, an admin has to give the DB user those permissions. For 4.8 we want
the admin to have the option of defining a one $db_url for usual queries and
another for database definition queries. Database definition queries will go
through the aforementioned functions and at that point we can challenege the
user for uid=1 credentials or something else.
- specific to the installer, adrian mentions that our three schema files
unify to one. also, consider how much code gets thrown out when you take
every update in every contrib module and remove the pgsql branch. We will be
defining updates only once.

So, it might be true that installer should proceed without this. But The
benefits are substantial IMO and is a project worth doing IMO. It isn't that
hard either.

-moshe