[development] Extend database abstraction layer, to include table creation.

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Sat May 13 22:40:49 UTC 2006

>> This is somewhat problematic as we need more people that are good
>> Drupal developers.  There is such a
>
> We recently got some very nice additions to our developer crowd.

At any point in time, we had a nice addition of developers.  That
doesn't mean there is enough talent available.

>> strong demand for good Drupal developers, yet which each new
>> version, we add more barriers as a side effect of making Drupal
>> more powerful.
>
> I think this is only a matter of perception. You (as I was) aren't
> yet fully comfy with the new forms API and thus think that
> everybody will find it more difficult. For people who are new to
> it, they will just read the (excellent!) docs and should be able to
> make the usual forms within a few minutes.

It's not just a matter of perception.  At least a dozen people told
me they got flabbergasted by the new forms API.

>> The web is built by millions of individuals, many of which are
>> amateurs. They continuously update, tweak and rebuild their
>> websites.  We want Drupal to remain accessible for them.
>
> Do we? I certainly want them to be able to use Drupal but I'd
> appreciate if they'd keep their hands out of the code if they
> aren't programmers. This only makes for nasty support cases.

Funny.  You just mentioned you didn't know any PHP or MySQL when you
started using Drupal ...