[development] Extend database abstraction layer, to includetablecreation.

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun May 14 06:42:05 UTC 2006

On Saturday 13 May 2006 12:06, Khalid B wrote:

> http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/002194.html
>
> His main points are:
>
> 1. With abstraction layers, performance cannot be gained.

Depends on your performance measurement.  Abstraction layers are not about
improving system performance; they're about improving developer performance.

We could make Drupal a hundred times faster if we recoded it in hand-tweaked
x86 assembler.  It would take us a few years to get something even get
something marginally useful, but it would be faster because we'd have
eliminated a dozen abstraction layers!  (PHP, C, SQL, etc.)  I'd rather burn
a few cycles than a few days or weeks of my time.  Hardware costs less than I
do.

> 2. Changing databases is never easy for a large site.

Depends on your codebase, and if you planned ahead.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson