[development] finding blocks and getting them simpler.

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Mon May 15 09:03:55 UTC 2006

Hello list,

One thing that has bothered me for a long time, is how to get/find/parse
blocks in a simple way.

Problems are:
* you need to read the code to find the "delta". Modules like views require
you to hover the admin/blocks/edit links in order to find the delta.
* a block returned by hook_block('view') needs casting and remodelling before
I can be passed to theme_block.

I addressed the last point with a helper function get_block.

But that function still has the first problem above: You need to know a) the
module that makes the block and b) the delta.

Does anyone know a trick for this? Or did I miss an API function? Is someone
working on code for this?

NOTE: I am not particularly interested in a discussion to revise the core
block architecture. Eventhough that might be an interesting project, I am
looking for an intermediate function/api-set right now :)

Bèr