[development] WordPress' project Shuttle: Administration redesign project

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Mon May 15 15:43:28 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:
> Looks nice and professional.  (This discussion probably belongs on the
> theme development mailing list.)
>
> I'd like to see a dashboard in Drupal 4.8/5.0.  Kieran Lal and Earl
> Miles were working on that during the Drupal 4.7.0 code freeze.

I ultimately decided I didn't like what we had set up because it
re-organized your menus for you. However, as Drupal moves forward I
think that part may become less necessary. It does need to be
re-arrangeable. Different administrators have different needs. People
who are very new to Drupal need a lot of handholding; people who have
been using it for awhile need less handholding and more detail exposed.
But detail confuses newer people; without any sense of what the detail
means, it's just extra info.

While I haven't touched administration module for awhile, CivicSpace has
moved forward with it and done some pretty nice stuff with it. I think
if the next generation of it can find a decent way to organize the data
that is both 1) configurable, 2) pluggable, 3) easy to follow, it will
be a great benefit to the next version of Drupal.