[development] Freezing the Drupal API

Richard Archer drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au
Tue May 16 00:43:46 UTC 2006

At 11:42 PM +0200 14/5/06, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

>If you don't like this policy, use something else.

I realise I have that option. But I thought I'd first do
something constructive to try to address the biggest problem
I have with Drupal.

>This would be preparation for a split of the project.

My point is, there are already multiple forks of Drupal.
There's the 4.5 branch, the 4.6 branch and the 4.7 branch.
When 4.8 is released it will have a maintainer appointed
and there will be 4 forks. Plus the Bryght guys have
their own version of Drupal. I guess Civicspace does too.
Bèr often talks about his Sympal fork.

This is a ludicrous and unnecessarily complex position to
be in. And all because IMHO insufficient thought has been
put into building a robust, flexible API so that Drupal can
be enhanced without having to hack on core or have the API
whipped out from under your feet.

It should not be so painful to upgrade from 4.5 to 4.6 that
people stick with 4.5 for years after it has been superceded.

I am offering to help formulate a plan whereby these problems
can be prevented or at least lessened in the future.

 ...Richard.