[development] Freezing the Drupal API

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Tue May 16 02:47:41 UTC 2006

> One thing I have been playing with, is a module that acts like wrappers around
> the form api. So that we can (back again) call form_select(). For those who
> feel unconfy with the Fapi (like me). Or those not willing/able to invest a
> lot of time to learn Fapi (like me). The actual plan/implemenation set aside:
> if there is a need for some "old fashioned bakwards, and in the eyes of a lot
> of developers plain stupid" concepts. It will make it.

The initial plans was to keep  the old form_*() functions around for one release
to help in transition. However, this was scrapped. I don't remember the details.

Also not that there is a backport of FAPI for 4.6 that nedjo et. al.
did. This would
help the other way (4.7 modules can easily work on 4.6 with minimal changes).

Having said all that, the basics of FAPI (form handling) are not hard at all to
learn, specially for someone like you Ber. It is a mental barrier more
than anything
else.

Use formupdater and it will do a lot of the grudge work for you. Most
of my modules
are converted now to 4.7, and much of that was done by a relative newcomer to
Drupal (my partner).

The advanced uses of  FAPI are another matter though ...