[development] Freezing the Drupal API

Sammy Spets sammys-drupal at synerger.com
Tue May 16 04:19:16 UTC 2006

I agree with what Richard is saying in a way. Using Drupal for a
commercial client doesn't provide that client with a guaranteed
hassle-free future of upgrades. The two reasons I see for this are:

	1. Custom modules require the creator to provide the upgrade path
	2. Theme system changes and UI changes may require site changes

I don't see how API changes affect the client directly. I only see those
changes affecting the client via modules.

If a client uses modules (unmodified) provided as part of core only they
are covered for upgrades. Add to this modules maintained by commercially
supported developers there is little for them to worry about. If they
use custom modules or those maintained by part-time/transient
developers, they are in trouble. This is exactly what CivicSpace have
addressed. They are responsible for the upgrade path.

It is true that a client will always require some amount of custom
modules. In that respect, you can provide them with the source for
those modules and they can pay anyone to perform the upgrade for them.
If you choose not to provide source, then it's time to negotiate a
maintenance contract.

What do I think about freezing the API? I believe it's a bad idea. As
others have said, the freezing will prevent innovation. Innovation is
key to providing a timely, secure and valuable product. You'd want your
clients to have that type of product wouldn't you? Imagine where we
would be now (for Winblowz users) if Microsoft hadn't developed Windows
95. We'd still be using a crappy OS. The transition from 3.11 to 95 was
a very scary one for businesses, but it happened and the world has never
looked back.

How do I believe we produce a commercially viable distro of Drupal?
Write modules properly. Many modules are written to address a small
subset of the functionality required globally. Improving modules to
address 80%+ of the functionality required, and maintaining them
properly, will provide the upgrade paths for commercial clients to
depend on.

I'm currently working to do just this. I'd like more people working
towards that same goal. Drupal being a open source (read as volunteer)
project makes it impossible to expect this to happen. As others have
already said, find likeminded people and form a team. Here is my
shoutout! :)

With my methodology above the core developers can go on their merry way
to keep their goals met. Their goals differ from mine. Provided I
respect their goals and speak to them nicely (and perhaps submit a few
patches here and there to either fix bugs and/or make my goals possible)
everyone wins.

--
Sammy Spets
Synerger Pty Ltd