[development] Freezing the Drupal API

Gildas Cotomale gildas.cotomale at gmail.com
Tue May 16 06:34:44 UTC 2006

2006/5/16, Trae McCombs <traemccombs at gmail.com>:
> Sorry to weigh in here, but I wanted to give a non-coders point of view...
>
> One of the biggest challenges I personally face when upgrading my sites is
> the daunting task of trying to sort through, "ok... I delete all of the
> "core drupal files" and then untar the old ones, and then run the upgrade...
> wait, what are the core files again?"
>
> It might not seem like a hard process for people that does this all the
> time, but for someone like me, it is a lot of work to do a drupal upgrade.

I see...
And that's a reason why DAPI cannot be freezed by now : not enought
mature yet :)
>From next releases one will do the upgrade your way with ease because
each module will have it's own directory.. But the discussion is not
closed and the work is in progess.

> What I think would make Drupal THE killer CMS app is quite simply if we were
> to have a button somewhere in the admin section(Prompts the user only every
> 24hrs), displayed prominently that says:
>
> [ 3 new updates - Upgrade your Drupal! ]

By the same way, and easier install stuff is on the road :) Maybe
later will we have notifications and automatic updates ? Let's wait
and see :)

[...Ubuntu is the way to follow...]
> Something that's super simple, easy and "Trae Proof"[tm] :)
>
> That is what we need.
>
> Sure, if you want to be uber-chx-geeky and hack everything with a hexedit
> tool or whatever, go for it! *grin*  But for those of use who are end-users
> who just want to manage content and only fight with the editorial process,
> we need simple.
>
> Thanks, sorry for the long email.
> Trae

[...]