[development] RFC: Candidate 'premium' modules

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue May 16 14:54:17 UTC 2006

> I think this is a useful discussion in getting peoples' views on
> modules (albeit somewhat non-development), so below are my notes on
> your list. -1 indicates I don't believe it's ready to be a premium
> module today, +1 indicates I think it should be a premium module.
>
>> actions
>
> -1. Evolving. Lots of interesting functionality, perhaps part of a
> higher end "big enterprise" set of use cases.
>
>> casetracker
>
> -1. Evolving, not quite there yet.
>
>> cck
>
> +1. More complex use cases. Don't necessarily want to overuse this
> in contrast to, e.g., page, blog, event, image.
>
>> ecommerce
>
> +1. Specific use cases. Good candidate for a Drupal Ecom install
> profile.
>
>> event
>
> +1. Needs refactoring -- turn it into a calendar "view" to display
> CCK and event-enabled content.
>
>> flexi*
>
> -1. I understand that lots of people have used this in the past.
> CCK is the clear path forward, I for one am uninterested
>
>> i18n
>
> +1. Should be headed towards core and/or a Drupal i18n install
> profile.
>
>> image
>
> +1. Move image.inc into core, have image.module be somewhat minimal.
>
>> og
>
> +1. It already is a premium module, modulo some of its recent very
> rapid development which has led to some instability.
>
>> project
>
> Neutral. I understand its supreme importance for drupal.org, I have
> seen little evidence of use outside of drupal.org.
>
>> sections (when it is done)
>
> -1. Has this ever had an official release? taxonomy_theme seems
> like a very good, robust solution here.
>
>> subscription
>
> Neutral. I'm still unhappy with what is happening here.
>
>> trackback
>
> -1. Can we say spam? Appropriate for a Drupal for Bloggers install
> profile.

> +1. Fast track for core for some components. It already is a
> premium module.
>
>> voting api
>
> Neutral. Good functionality

I support Boris' rating.  It pretty much matches my own.  I'd like to
see parts of CCK, views, actions, subscription, i18ln and image in
core though.  None of these modules are ready for core, and until
then, I'm not willing to carry their weight.  I do, however,
encourage the authors of these modules to try and get a minimal
version of their modules included in core.  I'd be happy to work with
you/them on this.