[development] Freezing the Drupal API

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Mon May 15 15:54:41 UTC 2006

Richard Archer wrote:
> At 5:31 PM -0400 15/5/06, Khalid B wrote:
>

>> The core developers innovate as they see fit, and do not let the API freeze
>> limit their creativity, the features to be implemented, or the overall
>> flexibility, power and compactness of Drupal's core.
>>

> I know. This, along with "code is gold" is the Drupal mantra.
> And I would argue that this attitude has to change. It is a
> sign that Drupal is immature, without focus and not much more
> than a plaything for the core developers.
>
> This "moving target" API model makes Drupal frustrating for
> someone building a site which they want to run in the long term.
>
> And as for trying to build a business around Drupal... well,
> there's surely a lot of money in helping people upgrade their
> installations.

If you want to imply that I am pro "breaking APIs where neccessary"
because I want to make money from updating people's sites you are quite
mistaken. I only upgrade sites for clients that already were my clients
before. I'd turn down requests for "please update my site to 4.7" right
away, because there isn't that much money to be made and the
money/paperwork as well as fun/work ratio isn't high enough. And
curiously I don't get any such requests, so it can't be that good a
business.

>  But personally I want to be able to offer a
> reliable, up-to-date, feature-rich hosting environment, and
> all Drupal promises me is a world of hurt.

I haven't heard Boris, James, or Adrian cry very loudly recently. Maybe
it is more a quiet sobbing.

Cheers,
Gerhard