[development] when we run out of characters

Jonathan Chaffer jchaffer at structureinteractive.com
Tue May 16 19:30:57 UTC 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 3:15 PM, Earl Miles wrote:

> Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>> I don't think this is a real problem. The number of hooks isn't
>> all that big so you can easily work around it.
>> This is the kind of API change even I don't need.
>
> I concur. I think we're better off using api.module to publish a
> list of hooks and saying "Please avoid ending your function names
> with these hooks, Just In Case."

This has nothing to do with hooks, actually. It has to do with
function names. There are 22 modules called "taxonomy_something" in
contrib alone. If taxonomy.module adds a function that begins with
any one of those "taxonomy_something"s, then a module breaks. It
doesn't matter whether or not that function is a hook.

This isn't a big problem right now. It could become one in the
future. We should come up with a convention now that will prevent
matters from getting worse later.