[development] when we run out of characters

drupal vlado at dikini.net
Wed May 17 13:19:39 UTC 2006

> >> The only real problem we have with that is include and require in  code.
> >> It must be used in top level, AFAIK, in order for the class to be
> >> visible to everywhere, might be wrong.
> >
> > I thought this was the case, and wrote about it in the OOP essay.
> > However, I have not been able to reproduce it recently. A PHP version
> > bump may have changed this behavior, or it may have been related to
> > something more subtle in the xmlrpc.inc implementation (that's where
> > the issue came up originally). I will probably amend the essay to
> > remove this comment.
>
> Classes were always in the global scope in PHP, so there should have
> been some specific problems in xtemplate.
As far as I remember, the problems were due to new objects.

The namespace issue is not too severe to call for urgency. It will be good, if
a solution can help having a clean code.

A slight annoying problem with classes whould be that hooks, if
translated directly, will become arrays, as opposed to simple strings.
This is required for method callbacks.

On the plus side, we can factor in a load per need, triggered on error,
for example class not found. Which might reduce the memory use.