[development] Joomla

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Mon May 22 19:49:20 UTC 2006

Op maandag 22 mei 2006 14:54, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> Hello,
>
> I met Joomla! lead developer this weekend, and attended a Joomla! 1.5
> demo.  Joomla! 1.5 is the next Joomla! release, currently in alpha/
> beta.  It will mark the first important release since Joomla!
> "spooned" from Mambo.
>
> Notable changes were:
>
>   - A new install system with a very basic notion of install profiles!
>   - Internationalization: interface translation only
>   - Database abstraction layer
>   - Separation of logic and presentation layer
>   - Improved APIs, making it a better developer platform
>
> Clearly, they have been playing catch-up with Drupal. :-)
>
> They also stated that Joomla! 2.0, the version after Joomla! 1.5 will
> have a node system like Drupal.

Besides techology, and nice code and performance and flexibility when
developing, what is it that makes Joomla! good?

What can we learn from Joomla!?

After all, they have a much larger installed base in a lot of branches of the
industry. They also have far better support of integrated systems like PHPbb
and Gallery2.
I have installed Joomla several times, and every time I was really amazed by
it. Yes, its code is not nice. And developing modules is probably a pain. But
alas! I never *had* to develop anything, its all there. And I never had to
look under the hood, it does what I need it to do!

Joomla feels like a nice Mercedes where you dont have to look under the hood
to get to your work. And where you can get there very easily and fast,
provided you dont need to drive trough deserts or jungles. And in fact, you
are not really supposed to look under the hood (you might not be pleased to
see what you find there)*. But Drupal is the wonderful English Car (RR) that.
Handcrafted, and with the best engine in the world. Now, its a known fact
that the RR might be a very good engineered car, but its not made for Driving
pleasure. Not many ppl take their RR into the traffic Jam to drive to
Brussels every day. ut Still, RR is the one building engines for airplanes!

What I try to say is, that we should be very aware of Joomla!! Because if they
manage to get their technology improved, and comparable to Drupals, they are
*far* ahead of us, in both "user experience", and "installed base".
So lets not sit back with  an arogant smile and think "waa, we've had nodes
all along". Or "muhahaha, your OOP suxxors for developing modules". But lets
get both teams more involved with eachother and see what we can do for
eachother. See what Joomla can do for Drupal.

Ber -who likes the fact that OO.o works without haviing to fiddle under the
hood to get it to work- Kessels

* Bad example, because Mercedes is supposed to be very good undert the hood,
but the point is clear, not?
--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]

CVS onder de knie krijgen: