[development] XML transformations using XSL

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu May 25 18:15:56 UTC 2006

XSLT is a very cool and powerful beast once you learn how to talk to it.
The mistake many people make is trying to treat it as a programming
language.  It isn't.  It's a templating/transformation language with
functional programming concepts (think ML).

If you're converting one XML stream into another XML stream, XSLT is just
what you need.  I use it for a DocBook->XHTML/DocBook->XSLFO->PDF project,
and it's great.  If you have to go to the effort of manually building or
dissecting the XML on one side or the other, though, then you're probably
better off just skipping that step in the first place.

Although PHP using <?php ?> doesn't make it inherently an XML PI.  If
anything, the two clash like crazy if you have short tags enabled. :-)

--
Larry Garfield