[development] Notes From Worldwide Developer Conference

Jim Riggs drupal-lists at jimandlissa.com
Fri May 26 15:35:58 UTC 2006

On 26 May, 2006, at 10:09, Khalid B wrote:

>> > The Gizmo project is SIP and now works with any SIP system, not
>> > just Gizmo itself.
>>
>> I have been using Gizmo for some time as a replacement for Skype.  In
>> general I am much happier with it than I ever was with Skype.  The
>> biggest plus is that it is not all proprietary.  Being able to use
>> existing SIP-enabled devices and services rather than only Skype-
>> proprietary ones is a huge plus.
>>
>> Maybe next time we can try Gizmo.  Maybe we should just set up a test
>> conference call and see how the quality compares.  Anyone interested?
>
> - Does it work behind NAT? (that is my major gripe against SIP)

Yes, Gizmo itself does.  SIP may still have issues, but I have used
Gizmo behind several firewalls both with and without NAT.

> - Can you prod your contacts on Skype to move to it easily?

It's very similar and an easy transition.  The prices for call in and
call out are very similar.  Gizmo includes free voice mail, but
unlike Skype it e-mails you the message rather than storing it.
Gizmo and Skype have had a bit of a price war going on lately,
specifically for calls to US land lines.

Gizmo even has a plugin for Adium if you're an OS X user, so you
don't have to run Gizmo at all.  Adium will show your Gizmo buddies
right along side of all the other IM systems.  You can chat with and
talk with gizmo users through Adium.