[development] Here is how you can get 4.5 security patches

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun May 28 03:28:38 UTC 2006

I am not demanding that you support 4.5 forever.  I don't think I've ever
demanded anything on this list, although I will sometimes suggest
forcefully. :-)  4.5 itself is actually quite useless to me, as I first
started using Drupal in the early 4.6 days and have never had a running 4.5
install.

I don't expect Drupal to provide support or patches for too-old releases.
That wouldn't make sense.  At the same time, though, the revisionist history
of expunging them from the web site is just as bad.  Lisa pointed out some
practical cases where someone may still need access to an older version.  If
they're already there on the site, don't remove them.  Flag them as "legacy,
unmaintained, and insecure.  Don't use or you're dumb" instead.

I'm referring mostly to older modules.  If someone already has a 4.5 site
running, and want to add a 4.5 module to it that used to be available, why
make it harder for him to get it now?  Just to make a point?

The other key point I am making is that "you can get it from CVS" is, for 98%
of the computer using world, exactly synonymous with "no, we won't let you
have it, ha ha!"  While almost anyone on this list either knows how to check
out an older branch from CVS or can figure it out from the web site fairly
easily, the same cannot necessarily be said for the majority of people
running those 60,000 Drupal sites (or whatever the current number is).
Saying "you can get it from CVS" to someone means saying "you're not 1337
enough".  That's something you really don't want to say.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson