[development] Here is how you can get 4.5 security patches

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sun May 28 09:39:15 UTC 2006

Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> blogdiva at culturekitchen.com wrote:
>  > Let me clarify my comments : What I meant was, move it to an archived
>
>> area where people can see the whole history and progression of  Drupal.
>> Keep it there with big blaring red letters saying --DRUPAL  DEVELOPERS
>> DO NOT SUPPORT THESE VERSIONS. Do so anyway so people can  look at the
>> structural aspects of it --and in the event they need  anything during
>> an upgrade, at least have the files available.
>>
>> These archives and this information is not for you or any of the
>> current developers. it's not just FOSS products that keep archival
>> reference to their product development. Many proprietary products do  so
>> as well. This is for future users and coder and the community in
>> general to learn the product's history and development. Why do you  want
>> to make it hard for people to get to this information?
>>

> Liza, you know the "history and progression" is closely monitored by
> CVS, this is the tool we use to watch how the system evolves, and it has
> all the interesting details, point releases, contributors, etc.

I think we should simply give people the link to explore that
themselves, the mentioning of three letter acronyms is likely to confuse
people.

This is a link to our web interface to CVS:

http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/drupal/

History of user.module:

http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/drupal/modules/user.module?rev=1.625&view=log

Find our when a particular line was added:

http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/drupal/modules/user.module?view=annotate

And a lof of other possibilities. This does a lot more than you can do
with a mere tarball if you really want to write the Great History of Drupal.

Cheers,
    Gerhard