[infrastructure] Re: [development] Drupal 4.5 unsupported

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Mon May 29 15:11:12 UTC 2006

Op maandag 29 mei 2006 14:15, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> What I could do is setup a script that automatically creates a new
> Drupal 4.6 release every month or so.  That is, if there have been
> changes to the DRUPAL-4-6 branch.  We wouldn't announce this release
> publicly, but people would have an easy way to grab the latest changes.

You mean releasing a new drupal 4.6.x+1 release like this? Or do you mean
releasing some kind of HEAD on the 4.6 branch this way?

Is the current model of 4.x.y+1 release-when-enough-issues-solved, not
sufficient, then? Or do I misunderstand you?

FYI and everybody interested in these threads, have a look here:
http://drupal.org/project/issues?projects=3060&versions=11262,10237,9739,9703,7696,7636,7578,5660,7407&categories=bug&priorities=1,2&states=1,8,13,14,2
these are bugs, for the 4.6 branch.

Or for 4,5:
http://drupal.org/project/issues?projects=3060&versions=10236,9738,9702,7695,7635,7577,6481,6486,4564,6478&categories=bug&priorities=1,2&states=1,8,13,14,2

Eventhough most of the 4.6 ones are probably "stale" bugs (bugs that were
erronously filed against some stable version and never updated when fixed in
some head), a rather big amount of these could be considered for integration
in one of these branches. If there were enough reviews.

So, if people are so concerned about an old 4.5 version (or any old one), wich
is perfectly understandable, there should also be people working on weeding
out these bugs, and testing them to get into a new 4.5.x and 4.6.x release.
Or at least just maintaining the queue, and closing old and stale issues. (me
is to blame here too)

IMO the biggest problem is that, for 4.5, there are no people around who
*redistribute* any backported (security) patches. For example: I cannot
beleive that ecademy is not somehow following our security releases and
merging them into their own "fork". There are probably more of such sites
which could redistribute any of their fixes.

Therefore, we can all jump up and call murder-and-fire (its a Dutch saying,
but I am sure you get the point) when 4.5 stuff might be officially not/less
maintained. But If there were people whom organised themselves around 4,5 and
released (backported) patches for the latest holes, for 4.5, all this would
be a non-issue.

Bèr