[infrastructure] Re: [development] Drupal 4.5 unsupported

Richard Archer drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au
Tue May 30 06:25:10 UTC 2006

At 11:02 PM -0700 29/5/06, Jonathan Lambert wrote:

>And nobody ultimately benefits.  The
>people who stay on the version end up on a "fake fork", the user
>community may get materially fragmented, the users end up with a
>"tough luck pal" response from the community for support

This is where Drupal has real problems. Because Drupal's API
changes so radically and so often, it pretty much forces
established sites with any customizations at all to stick with
whatever version they first built their site on.

And since people (at least the ones I know) expect their site
to last longer than 12 months they will inevitably find
themselves using an insecure, unsupported version of Drupal.

>If anything, we need to get
>more customers on a daily or weekly upgrade, and build systems to help
>drive upgrades that make it easier to do so.

I don't see how this would be possible with anything but
a trivially simple site that used nothing but core modules.

But any site that uses a contrib module has to wait for
that module to be updated. Any site which has custom code
that depends on a changed part of the API will break.

All you'd be doing by pushing weekly updates is spreading
the pain of an upgrade out so that you have a little pain
every week rather than one massive ache every 6 months.

Either way, using Drupal hurts.

 ...R.