[development] "release candidate" of new release system on scratch.drupal.org

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Sun Nov 5 01:35:58 UTC 2006

the (hopefully final) "release candidate" of the new release system
is now on scratch.drupal.org.

i have made a lot of updates and edits to the original forum post
about this:

http://drupal.org/node/90436

the scratch DB and cvs repo have been wiped clean, and the installed
copies of project.module, project_issue.module,
project_release.module, cvslog.module, the xcvs-* access control
scripts, and the packaging script to create releases are all running
the most recent code (in the DRUPAL-4-7--2 branch of the contrib
repo, if anyone's following closely).

of particular interest:

1) http://scratch.drupal.org/handbook/version-info#contrib

a draft of the new handbook text describing contrib version strings
in the new system -- this would obviously replace the real http://
drupal.org/handbook/version-info once the new system is live.

2) http://drupal.org/node/90436#critical-issues

my list of known-issues that must be addressed before the system can
be deployed.  as you can see, everything is now crossed-out (i.e.
done) except 2 final documentation tasks.  any help would be greatly
appreciated... (see also http://lists.drupal.org/archives/development/
2006-10/msg00604.html)

3) http://drupal.org/node/90436#future-work

my to-do list of other issues/improvements that should be done, but
which aren't so critical that they need to delay the new system being
deployed.  again, any help would be great (both in terms of patches
for existing issues, or other ideas on improvements we should make).

pretty, pretty please, try out scratch.drupal.org.  try tagging some
releases for your contribs in the scratch cvs repository, create
release nodes, and watch them get packaged.  see what gets included
in the tarball.  read the version-info handbook page and see if it
makes sense.  play with the UI.  LET ME KNOW if anything isn't
working how you expect or if you find any problems.  see http://
drupal.org/node/90436#feedback for how/where to provide feedback.

if the rest of the docs get written, this could all be live in a day
or 2...

i've done almost all i possibly can to get to this point -- now's
your chance to contribute.

thanks!!!
-derek (dww)